Still here for you. For good.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact us here in Australia and around the globe, we're all doing our best to adapt.
We take inspiration from our educators, who took (or are still taking) on the challenge of remote learning, while continuing to be pillars of support for their higher education communities.
At UniHealth, we're adapting too. And it's all about finding ways to support you now, and in the future.
At the start of the pandemic, we introduced a COVID-19 member-support package that was scheduled to be in place until 30 September 2020. We can now confirm that many of these measures have been extended to 31 January 2021.
These changes have all been extended to 31 January 2021. They're designed to help you get the most out of your cover, as the way you use your Hospital and/or Extras cover may be a little different for a while:
- Telehealth – We've always paid benefits towards telepsychology under Extras cover. We've since extended this to a wider range of services, including physio, chiro and speech therapy.
- Cover for COVID-19 – Members on all levels of Hospital cover are covered for COVID-19 admissions. This is especially relevant for members on our Basic Plus products StarterPak, Basic Hospital and Mid Hospital (who wouldn't have had full cover for COVID-19 admissions otherwise).
- New Family program – our New Family Program will remain open to more members with Hospital cover, to help families who may struggle to access standard ante and postnatal services. This is just one of the programs the Teachers Healthcare Services team helps our members access.
- A little less admin – to help doctors prioritise patients who are seriously unwell, we'll continue to honour existing doctor's letters on file for healthy lifestyle and birth control claims. And we won't ask you for a letter for travel or artificial appliance claims.
As a not-for-profit health fund, we exist to look after our members, not provide payouts to shareholders. We put the following measures in place to help ease some of the financial stress you may have been experiencing, and they've also been extended to 31 January 2021:
- Financial hardship – If you've lost your income due to COVID-19, you can still apply to suspend your membership for up to 12 months. And we've expanded this one to include members who get JobKeeper payments. (You don't have to re-serve waiting periods after a suspension – you do if you re-join after cancelling your membership.)
- Suspension (overseas travel) – We've relaxed the rules on suspension to better support members who suspended their cover and are stuck overseas or had to return early due to COVID-19.
Your premiums & benefits
Back in March, we postponed all 1 April premium increases. Every UniHealth member who was due an increase in April will have paid a lower base rate for their cover for six months (to 1 October 2020).