Keeping your child covered
At the start of each academic year, we check if your child will be staying on your membership or taking another cover option.
Normally you need to let us know which of the below applies to your child before 1 March – as that's the date student dependants are normally removed from family memberships if no action is taken.
However, we have extended this cut-off date until 1 June 2022. This is so we can support members in light of the changes to how long dependants can remain on your cover. From April 2022, this will be until they are 32 years old (as long as they meet the eligibility criteria).
1. Still studying – update student dependant registration
From April 2022 your child can stay on your membership as a student dependant if they're under 32, a full-time student (trainee or apprentice) and aren’t married or in a de-facto relationship.
What to do
Update their registration via Online Member Services before 1 June 2022:
- Log in to Online Member Services
- Go to My membership > People covered
- Select your child, and click Edit
- Update the student declaration section and Submit your changes.
Don't have Online Member Services set up? You can update your child’s registration via this form.
2. Not studying – get Extended Family Cover
You may be able to keep your child on your cover as a dependant non-student through Extended Family Cover~ (if they’re under 32 and aren’t married or in a de-facto relationship).
What to do
To learn more about this option call us on 1300 367 906 before 1 June 2022. If you already have Extended Family Cover, call us to let us know if you’d like to keep your child on your cover as a dependant non-student.
~ Extended Family Cover isn't an option if you're on StarterPak (Basic Plus) or Emergency Ambulance cover.
3. Not studying – they get their own cover
If it's time for your child to get their own membership, we can help them find cover that’s right for them. To soften the pain of parting (sniff), we’ll even throw in one month free* for them and a $100 eGift card^ for you (see below)!
What to do
Terms and conditions
*1. Ex-student dependants get one month free cover and we’ll waive the 2 & 6 month waiting periods on Extras when joining with Hospital and/or Extras cover. Use promo code EXDEP when joining.
2. This offer is only available to ex-student dependants who’ve been removed from their parent's existing UniHealth membership who take out their own membership within two months.
3. The ex-student dependant must select a Direct Debit payment plan.
4. One month's free cover is applied to the second month of the new membership, once we’ve received the ex-student dependant’s first premium payment.
5. If there is a gap in cover over two months, all waiting periods must be re-served.
6. Waiting periods for any benefits not covered on the ex-student dependant’s parent's cover will still apply.
7. To retain any loyalty benefits accrued, the new membership must start from the day after the student was removed from their parent's policy.
8. The offer does not apply to Emergency Ambulance only policies.
*Eligibility criteria and conditions apply. Offer is available to current members who refer an eligible friend or family member to join UniHealth before 30 June 2022. When joining online, over the phone or in person with a Business Development Officer the new member must quote your membership number. See full terms and conditions.
^eGift cards will be distributed from 6 weeks after the referred member's join date.